Saturday, August 17, 2013

Why I Pray Psalm 95 Every Morning

My daily prayer time uses the Morning Prayer service from  the Anglican Book of Common Prayer (The BCP is the source book for Anglican worship). 

Morning prayer always includes Psalm 95. It's something Christians have been doing from time immemorial. 

There are a number of reasons for this. One reason is verse 7, "For he is our God, and we are the people of his pasture and the sheep of his hand. Oh, that today you would hearken to his voice!" That second sentence is the key. Why? Because it reminds me that my task everyday is to listen to the Lord and obey him.

I believe that is the simplest definition of discipleship - listening to Jesus and doing what he tells you to do. Psalm 95 sets me up to remember that everyday.

Give it try! Build Psalm 95 into your daily reading and use it as a prayer asking the Lord to give you the grace to hear him and obey him. You won't regret it!

No comments:

Post a Comment