Friday, August 16, 2013

Serving is Bedrock Kingdom Value ... So It Should Be One of My Bedrock Values

Jesus said he came to serve; not to be served (Mark 10:45). Since Jesus said this I figure serving is REALLY important to him. Because it is really important to Jesus it ought to be really important to me. Therefore, serving ought to be one of my bedrock values and ought to be a bedrock value for my church.

Let's go backwards and start with church life. Since Jesus is building the church and since the church is his body (Ephesians 1:22,23) then he wants us to do what he did. One of those things is serve. In fact the New Testament invites us to serve one another.(Galatians 5:13). This is why I am unapologetic about inviting people to serve in my parish. When the pastor calls and asks someone to serve, its easy to think in service club terms and assume he or she just wants to get me busy. Wrong! I want to help everyone I serve grow up in maturity in Christ and know the joy that comes from that. You can't get that done with out serving. Period.

But serving is bigger than that. It happens at home, it happens at work, it happens in the neighborhood, and it can happen in the city. Life is chock full of places to serve!

Are you serving? If not, you are missing a huge part of the pathway to life. Remember what Jesus said, "Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it."(Matthew 10:39) 

Want real life? Serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment