Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Another Reason I'm a Benedictine

There's another reason I'm a Benedictine: non-heroic spirituality.

Here's the deal. Most of life is mundane, repetitive and just plain daily. If one is going to faithfully follow Christ then one HAS to figure out what it looks like to be a radically committed disciple in the midst of bill paying, lawn mowing, laundry and diapers. All that stuff seems pretty low ball compared to "reaching the world for Christ!"

Now, don't get me wrong. I think all Christians should be passionate about reaching the nations for Jesus. It's just that even if I am a missionary living among an unreached people group, I still gotta pay bills, mow lawns, do laundry and change diapers. I gotta figure out how all that stuff fits into following Jesus.

That's why Benedict is so helpful. His rule is all about offering every last detail of life to God. Why? Because it's in the midst of all that stuff that God forms us into the image of Jesus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment