Sunday, August 4, 2013

3 Reasons I Read Prayers

I read prayers. Really, I do. You should try it: you might like it!!

Here's what I mean. Not only at church (I'm an Anglican - we use a printed liturgy) but in my personal, daily prayers I use written prayers. Why?

Three reasons:

1. Some of the prayers are really good. I use the Book of Common Prayer for my prayers. Some of the prayers in there are WAY better than what I might come up with on my own. They help me pray things better than I would pray them on my own

2. I pray for things I might ignore on my own. The written prayers I use hit a broad range of topics. This forces me to pray for stuff I wouldn't normally pray for.

3. They help me pray when I don't feel like praying. My daily prayer time is in the morning. If I don't do it then it doesn't get done. Most mornings I stumble to my desk sipping on coffee trying to wake up. I usually don't feel that spiritual. But I need to pray. Written prayers help me do that.

Now don't get me wrong. I also pray extemporaneous prayers - lot's of them!! I have a prayer list I pray through daily. After I get rolling I try to be earnest in my praying (a theme all over bible) and I even pray for things that just come to mind that day. I don't read prayers INSTEAD of free praying; I read prayers IN ADDITION to free praying.

What are some ways you have found reading prayers helpful?








No comments:

Post a Comment