Monday, August 12, 2013

3 Reasons Small Groups are Essential to Growing as a Disciple of Jesus


I believe in small groups. I didn't used to. I thought it was a nice option for those who like those sort of things.

I've changed my mind.

Now I think they are essential. Here are three reasons why.

1. All Holiness is Social Holiness. This is quote from John Wesley. Contrary to popular opinion this is not a statement about social justice. It is about the nature of growing in Christ: discipleship. Wesley learned through the implementation of small groups called class meetings that they were indispensable for spiritual growth.

2. I Need Others to Spur Me On. This is true in all areas of life - but especially in Christian discipleship. This is why Hebrews 10:24-25 says, "And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together,as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and al the more as you see the Day drawing near."

3. Spiritual Growth is Not Linear. This has been a hard one for me to face. My naturally systematic mind wants to lay out a path that takes one to maturity. Problem is it just don't work that way. Small groups are ways of engaging discipleship that allow the Holy Spirit to meet people where they are in the context of other believers. Each person is encouraged to hear from the Lord and follow him.

No comments:

Post a Comment