Monday, March 12, 2012

Lord Open Our Lips


"Lord, open our lips.
And our mouth shall proclaim your praise."

I try to say the Daily Office from the Anglican Book of Common Prayer everyday. Some days I miss, but over the years it has become a habit. I am grateful to mentors have encouraged me to build that spiritual practice in my life.

Early in the office, one is invited to recite the words, "Lord, open our lips." It's kind of a funny thing to say.  One is already opening one's lips to ask God to open them. Of course, that's not the point. The point is that it is hard to offer worship to God. I need help. That's what I love about this short prayer. It reminds me that I need help and it promises me help. Our generous God invites us to pray and then gives us the strength to do so. What a good God we worship!

No comments:

Post a Comment