Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Disciplemaking 1

In a month I will travel to Rwanda to teach at a week long pastor's training school in the Anglican Diocese of Kibungo. My job is to teach my fellow priests how to develop discipleship in a local church. Needless to say, I have been thinking about disciplemaking. I need to crystallize my ideas and plan to do so by splashing my thoughts on this blog. Hope some of my readers find these posts helpful.

My first thought is this -- too many churches make disciplemaking way, way, way too complex. The Kingdom of God is a movement. Movements are driven by simple ideologies that are transferred easily and quickly. Highly institutionalized methods of disciplemaking often undermine this reality and end up not acheieveing their intended goal.

In the biological realm the simplest things are often the most dangerous. Think of a virus. It is small, virtually unnoticeable and yet can kill millions in a short time. Biblical disciplemaking is a viral movement. I want to spend some blog posts thinking about how this is so.

No comments:

Post a Comment